|500Foods shared this story from The Packer - Industry.|
The CEA Food Safety Coalition, which represents controlled-environment agriculture operations that include greenhouses and indoor vertical farms, has added members and is preparing to release food safety metrics by the end of the year.
“The coalition’s members collaborate by establishing standards and sharing insights to protect consumers,” Paul Lightfoot, coalition founder and chairman, and president of BrightFarms. “The more members, the safer the industry, so I’m thrilled that all the major players in our space have joined the coalition.”
The group is developing food safety standards tailored to controlled environment growing, and the group plans to release this year a set of criteria supporting a “no need to wash” label for members, and food safety metrics for members (in addition to underlying external food safety audits), according to a news release.
“Along with the growth of the CEA leafy greens industry comes the need to evaluate food safety risks specific to these commodities,” Jennifer McEntire, senior vice president of food safety and technology at the United Fresh Produce Association. “The coalition is playing a critical role in convening the industry and facilitating these discussions, and United Fresh Produce Association is pleased to contribute to this public health-focused effort.”
The newest members are:
- Clear Water Farms, Rochester, N.Y.;
- DeGoede Farms, Sumner, Wash.;
- Eden Glory Farms, Passaic County, N.J.,
- Element Farms, Lafatette Township, N.J.;
- Farm.One, New York City;
- Gotham Greens, Brooklyn, N.Y.;
- Green Life Farms, Lake Worth, Fla.;
- Livingston Farms, Livingston, Mont.;
- PathSensors, Baltimore;
- Planted Detroit;
- Pure Green Farms, South Bend, Ind.;
- Sensei Ag, Lāna‘i City, HI
- Square Roots, Brooklyn/Wyoming, Mich.;
- Vertical Field, Israel; and
- Vertical Roots, Charleston, S.C.